Thursday, March 19, 2009

Are you a MOM?

What am I supposed to say when somebody I kinda know, who hasn't seen me forever, and who has NEVER bonded with me greets me like this...

'So are you back to work already, or do you still get to be a MOM?'...

....and says so in a completely intentional, self righteous, judgemental, holier than thou, disapproving way?

Since I don't know what I SHOULD have said, because deep down, and out on the surface for that matter, I am purely human, with little or no qualities that would classify me as better than any other human in ways relating to....whatever that is....I simply said...

'Yes, I'm ALREADY back at work, and have been for quite a while (because my baby is 2 months old, and I work in a commission only job, and last time I checked, people who have babies and work in commission only jobs, still have to pay their bills); and I'm pretty sure I am still a Mom, and have been the entire time. Even though I go to work.'

And, because I have obtained little or no demure and accepting behaviors in my short life, I am pretty sure I said it in a short, disdainful, snotty, curt, disrespectful way, and that I in no way allowed her a moment to apologize for what she quickly realized had just come out of her mouth. For after all, as I so rudely made clear, I had no idea that a working mother gave up her title of MOM the day she walked back out the door to provide for her family.

So, I guess we're even.

Tit for Tat.

I guess tomorrow, I work on tolerance.....glad it's tomorrow.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

Ha! Good thing "tomorrow" never comes, either. :) I think people are stillshocked then I tell them that I, too, work. And have been working WHILE BEING A MOM for about, oh, two years now.

Tolerance is overrated.

Alicia said...

People suck. Seriously.

Michelle said...

I'm with you. And I love the way the question (which reeks of accusation) is worded... "do you GET to be a Mom?" Like motherhood is this prize I got fooled into forfeiting.

Ya - that's what happened. Thanks for showing me the light, acquaintance. Thanks for reminding me of the impossibility of being both a mom and a paycheck receiver. Now that you've reminded me, I'll definitely quit my job, quit paying my bills, and I'll expect my bishop to cover my mortgage.

Brazil's Girl said...

AMEN!!!! I couldn't have said it better. And for the record, I'm currently not working, but I am planning on it, in 7 months when I can get my baby in her brother's preschool.