Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back-Handed Compliments?

I hate these.
The back-handed compliment.
You know, "What a great room! Too bad it will be torn apart in a few years." Or, "You're so awesome. Why aren't you married?"
Gee, you're right-- nice things are meant to be eaten on, climbed on, jumped on and drawn on. I don't know what I was thinking. And, maybe I'm not married because I'm really that selfish and picky and I've only broken heart after heart (no, I've never been hurt) along the way.
So, when someone tells me, "Cute haircut! I liked it better long... but it's cute." am I supposed to smile and say, "thanks"? I really don't know.
Oh well, this is the same person who told me (when I told them I was choosing to stay home after having a baby), "What a waste of an education."
Weird. I always thought my choice to be educated would enrich my life beyond just a job.
Guess not.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I love the....WOW, you look great for just having a baby....HUH? How exactly is that?

Can't people just shut the heck up and not TRY to force a compliment when there isnt' one?

I know I don't....

Laurel said...

Seriously. Just shut your mouths, people! Even if that's what you "really" think... that's what white lies are for. Go ahead! Tell me a half-truth! I'm not going to lost 15 lbs. by tomorrow, and my hair's not growing 6 inches either. Deal with it and tell what what DOES look good.

Michelle said...

What about, "You look so good [post-baby]; you know everyone hates you." I've heard that twice in two days. WTF?